Thursday, May 23, 2013

Choosing the Right Words...

It's important to convey the right emotions through the words you chose. I know I have issues with this. I like this chart a lot.


It helps quite a bit. However, being petrified and terrified are still different. They are not interchangeable. Just like being unsure and anxious gives two different emotions.



If you are in doubt on whether to say "said" or any other word, it's alright to just say "said". It just depends on the situation. Obviously:

     "Hi" I said.
     "Hi" she said.
     "What are you doing today" I asked.
      "Nothing" She said.
      "Come with me," I said.
      "Alright," she said.
Would be boring (just like the conversation). It would be a bit more exciting if you change some of the words.
     "Hi" I said.
     "Oh, Hey!" replied.
     " What are you doing today?" I asked.
     "Nothing much," she explained.
     "Come with me," I insisted.
     "Alight," she muttered.
Through that the reader knows that person A (the I) wants to hang out with person B (the she) even though person B isn't very thrilled by it. Maybe they are siblings or person A is a cousin of person B.

Words are very important to getting things across. If one word can convey ten, use the one word. (Unless it doesn't fit the personality of the narrator).

No comments:

Post a Comment