Friday, May 17, 2013

Summer Time

It's harder to write in the summer. I'm pacing my dinning room trying to come up with new ideas. Unfortunately I come up with my best ideas after experiencing tragedy or witnessing a great tragedy. I really hope not to experience or witness any more but it is inevitable. I just don't want to wait till that happens.  I just need to come up with a different way of writing.

I watched The Great Gatsby a week after it came out and thought about the character Nick Carraway. In the film he wanted to be a writer and stopped writing to become a bonds man. It is clear in the movie that he was a watcher. A person who witnesses great tragedy and "seems" to do little to change anything. It is clear that his actions do have an affect (is that the right use? or should I use "effect") on the events. Silence can sometimes be the greatest affect (as seen in abuse cases all over the world) on any persons life.

 I know I tend to be a silent watcher. When ever I go to a party, not wanting to drink, I watch on the sidelines and make up stories about what will happen to the people attending the party after they leave. It can be either a tragedy or a comedy (usually based on my mood at the time). If I chose to drink, I would think about my feelings after the party, if I feel like I was stupid or if it was fun. Usually I feel I did something stupid and disappointed every woman who has ever told me to aim higher. I do use the experience for my own benefit. I make my mistakes into funny stories and material for personality traits for characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment