Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Keep Going


I always ask myself "is it worth it?" when it comes to my writing. I wonder if anyone would really read it, or if I could even sell one book. Would people bash it down? Will I be the laughing stock of the world? Highly doubtful but it's common to doubt what you're writing. 

When I do, I go back and read some of my stories I wrote in middle school and high school. I was pretty good at keeping up a fanfic page in middle school. Then I realize how much I have improved in my writing skills. It keeps me going just a page more.  I still ask my self why I decided on being an English major.

Why did I chose to be an English major? Well originally I wanted to teach and I don't like math... or dates so English or PE would be the only thing I would want to teach. 

Once I attended WSU, I realized that I just love literature. I love to find hidden clues, left from men (and some women) who died hundreds of years ago. I love the people here in the program, they get me, they know how I think and how I see the world. When I'm in a room with people from Math or Sciences, I don't understand what they do and it's hard for them to explain things to be. 

I used to hate reading. Mostly because all my family did was read. Sometimes they would miss appointments just because they were reading. I told myself that I wasn't going to do that.

I did gain a love of writing when I was younger. I was in fifth grade when I got my first creative writing project. I was aloud to write a story, any story I wanted. Just as long as it was at least 2 pages. I wrote a story about a world that didn't need men, so all of them were frozen and hidden under water. My teacher thought it was cute and told me I should be a writer. I never took her seriously.

Once I got to High school, it changed. My Sophomore English teacher introduced me to saying what I wanted in my papers. I didn't have to hold back on my opinion just because the book was considered a "classic". I got a chance to write a story again. This time I wrote about knights (since my high school mascot was the Knight) and the different types of knights at my school. One of my classmates (one who used to tease me a lot) told me to be a writer. 

That's why I'm here. Why are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment